Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish Oil...

5 posters

:: Nutrition

Go down

Fish Oil... Empty Fish Oil...

Post  RedHeaded_Stepchild Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:29 pm

There were some postings a couple of weeks back on the old comment boards regarding Fish Oil and its role as a supplement. Came across this article that spells out the facts and has some solid references to back up the cliams.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RedHeaded_Stepchild
RedHeaded_Stepchild

Back to top Go down

Fish Oil... Empty Re: Fish Oil...

Post  Andrew Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:59 pm

I was starting to take a look at the fish oil capsules, too. After the nutrition seminar a few weeks back and reading the paleo book, it seems like a pretty good idea to take them, given their health benefits. I'm just not entirely sure how much or how often. Hubie and Dave said something about high-dose at the seminar, and the paleo book went over how you need to keep your ratio or omega 3's higher than your omega 6's.

How would you fit it into a zone diet? Take, for instance, an 17-18 block zoner. How many of your fat blocks would you cover with the supplement, or would you replace any of your normal fat intake at all?
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Fish Oil... Empty omega 3's

Post  ChuckP Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Dan,

No matter what diet you are on or way you eat you supplement fish oils and do not change your fat intake what so ever. If I remember correctly its .5 grams of fish oil per pound of body weight per day. My numbers may be off slightly and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. Anyways, if you decide t take fish oils don't count them towards daily fat intake or towards your fat blocks, act as if you weren't taking them when you do calculations.

Hope that helped.
ChuckP
ChuckP

Back to top Go down

Post  ChuckP Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Sorry, that post was meant to address Drew not Dan.
ChuckP
ChuckP

Back to top Go down

Post  CJB Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:20 pm

fish oil is the one supplement i take religiously. i have some rickety old joints from stupid stuff i've done and i find it helps keep them feeling functional...maybe its a placebo but whatever. i feel good. i have also noticed an improved cardiovascular tolerance during WODs since i've been taking them. the only things i can recommend are these, and they are from my personal explorations, nothing terribly scientific;

get fish oil that explicitly tells you how much EPA and DHA are in the pills. i think i take about 1500mg total of the combined 2 types of essential fatty acids.

i like to get ones that go with chemical free fish/refine the oil to make it as pure as possible. as a fisherman (judging by my picture and the salmon in it one could surmise i am a fisherman) i have found out how bad the waters are. i don't eat my fish from the great lakes. too many chemicals to this day. ocean fish are no different. lots of chemicals all over the place. Mark Sisson's Daily Apple page sells some good ones that are refined and supposedly free of chemicals. a couple other ones are out there too, just can't remember the brand names.

anyway, hope this helps.
CJB
CJB

Back to top Go down

Post  Hubie Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:51 am

From the horse's mouth.
FWIW, I take two Vitamin Shop fish oil capsules a day. I read somewhere that Dr. Sears calls fish oil, "as close to a miracle pill as there is out there." I feel like CJ, they make me feel better so I take them.

Hubie
Hubie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down