Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pull-ups killed my hands

5 posters

:: Exercises

Go down

Pull-ups killed my hands Empty Pull-ups killed my hands

Post  Andrew Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 pm

So after Tuesday's Pull-ups & Sprints workout, I've got two ripped callouses that are killing me. I've heard from Chuck and a few other people that soaking them in hot saltwater helps. I've done for the past two nights. Any other remedies? Or perhaps preventive measures for the next pull-up workout?
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Pull-ups killed my hands Empty Re: Pull-ups killed my hands

Post  Hubie Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Tear and file down the extra "hanging" skin. Then use a generous amount of Neosporin and cover with band aids while you are sleeping. Remove the band aids in the morning, wash your hands or shower, then apply Neosporin and band aids again.

I always tried to let my hands heal naturally. I decided to give the Neosporin and try and it worked so well. Two days is the maximum it should take for any hand tear to heal.

Also, don't get generic... spend the extra cash and get the brand name Neosporin.
Hubie
Hubie

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:48 pm

liquid skin also helps, good luck when applying it though...
Nik
Nik
Admin

https://crossfitbuffalo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:02 pm

ahh!

I just came across this, and im sorry hubie but that is exactly what you are NOT supposed to do!!!

NEVER cut back a flap of skin hanging! that leaves the area exposed and prone to infection. the flap serves as a protection barrier from germs & whatnot. next time this happens clean the area with SALINE solution- this is not a GERMACIDE like alcohol or peroxide. The problem is that germacides kill EVERYTHING- bad and good cells, and while you want the bad out, you certainly want to keep the good. so stick with saline. then you should put a medication on it. neosporin, bacitracin or triple antibiotic will work, but i prefer neosporin, probably because it's just what i've always used. whatever you choose, i guess you're supposed to put it on the band-aid and not directly on the wound itself, which i don't do, but that's probably to keep the area from getting more infected. while this may be unfavorable for doing things like crossfit and going about the rest of your day, it is the textbook way of how to take care of open blisters.

damn i guess i actually learned stuff in athletic injuries last semester! =)
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Hubie Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:18 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you have the CF journal, read this article. A flap of skin is protecting nothing. This article is great, the author is a 35 year gymnastics coach.

Enjoy.
Hubie
Hubie

Back to top Go down

Post  darin Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 am

The proper term for the hanging skin is a 'flapper'. When this happens the best way to stop the bleeding is to stuff the exposed area with chalk. If if continues to bleed apply more chalk. If the bleed still hasn't stopped apply super glue.

Anyone who has climb can vouch that this is the proper methodology for taking care of your flapper. I'm sure RayRay, Dave, and Higley will agree with me.
darin
darin

http://www.darins.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down