Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emily's Lifestyle Change

4 posters

Go down

Emily's Lifestyle Change Empty Emily's Lifestyle Change

Post  chick Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 am

After my second thanksgiving dinner and about 14,000 unwanted calories, I feel like crap! I'm sick of feeling like this and I want to permanently change my eating habits and my physical appearance. Permanent may be a stretch, that is the ultimate goal, but I would like to depart my old ways of eating what I want when I want for more than a month at a time. The idea is to be at optimal condition for spring break, which is in March. I'd like to have confidence in a bikini, which I’ve honestly never had. I need to keep the intensity up through June, since I will be in my cousin’s wedding. To motivate me, I bought the dress one size too small. I better fit into that dress or we will have one pissed off bride. From there I hope to permanently kick the bad habits, but I should probably take one step at a time.

My strategy? I am going cold turkey and I am going to emphasize paleo while integrating the blood type diet. The blood type diet seems less important which is why the emphasis is on paleo. I have tried numerous times to go cold turkey and I have failed countless times but I am going to give it another attempt because I feel like slowly adapting is just a waste of time. I also think that once I get through that breaking point I will be fine, because that's the time when I have relapsed in the past. I know I can do it because in high school I ate mostly raw and I was on sports teams and I was in the best shape of my life. My goal is to reach and exceed that state of being. As far as my wods go I am going to try my best to pick up the intensity. Not sleeping because of my hectic college lifestyle makes it hard to get that rush that I usually fiend for, but I'm gonna try to get it anyway. I know I may be annoying to ask this but if any of you see me working out please encourage me to pick up the pace. Dave, Hubie, Chuck and Dan have all witnessed me struggling, yelled at me a little and that encouragement was enough to motivate me to do better. It really does help since I don't have the self-motivation right now. I obviously intend on gaining that self-discipline, like I had in my high school days, but until then I’ll take all the help I can get.

Ok. I know what I want, now it’s time to fight for it.
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Emily's Lifestyle Change Empty Re: Emily's Lifestyle Change

Post  Diana21 Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:22 am

Hey Em!
I did the basic switch to Paleo and my time on it sure has been a ride. I'm astonished at how I eat now, only when I'm hungry and I get full really fast. I have to make myself eat because I know my body needs it. I've been phasing into it, not cold turkey.. had a piece of cake a week after I started, and it didn't even thrill me. Even bread, cheese or any type of desert, I honestly didn't care. And I've been totally eating Grape Nuts lol.. the whole time I've started, just phasing out.

I think the key is to not restrict anything.. and I still do my sports supps. Like glutamine, protein shakes, and even creatine (it's not good for you lol - the creatine, and I'm sure Dave would shake his head at me if he even knew I took it occasionally) but my point being, when I was in school, I would restrict things, and that led me into the worst binges.. and that was not healthy. I'm pretty sure I had an eating disorder for close to half my life, college made it worse.. and then all the restrictions. I've stopped focusing on how my body looks.. fact is, people and women like us who do crossfit, or anything with that level of passion look better than 90% of the people out there. At least that's what my boyfriend tells me, and I am apt to believe him. You look great, you bring it hard and I am truly amazed. It pushes me to go harder, that's for sure.

So when my family or anyone asks me what I'm doing, I tell them the main thing is health and performance. For the first time, I am happy with my body, and it took me a long time to come to that point. And you know those skinny girls, most of them probably do coke anyways... lol. just kidding, but seriously (I'll show you a picture of one - you DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT want to look like that lol). I like to do the bye bye arm comparison.. chances are your guns are like rocks, while they may have smaller arms and "look" skinnier, they really aren't that at all. Just a bunch of fat that giggles haha.

You'll definitely get there, all that will come. The pressure and stress, while sometimes is good, may set you back. For instance, my body has changed in the month that I've been here, even gained 10lbs, mainly muscle.. which is awesome of course.. BUT, the stress I'm under has led me to keep the weight around my stomach. DESPITE training hard and eating well.

My advice.. don't kill yourself by going so extreme that it'll sabatoge your results. Eat a cookie every now and again.. and when you do, don't stress over it. The changes you'll be making will last a lifetime, a piece of junk every now and again won't kill it. Smile
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Emily's Lifestyle Change Empty 27 dresses and 3 pairs of very expensive jeans. :)

Post  Diana21 Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:34 am

Oh and one more thing about size.. seriously.. it's all relative. That dress that you bought one size too small, is what a size 2?

I used to have this obsession constantly, about wanting to be a certain number. The only number that truly matters is the one that you give to yourself.

I have gotten more compliments more recently than ever. More than when I was a mere 125lb 21 year old. And I'm pretty sure even though I was "skinny", I still hated myself.. lol.. kidding, but really, my body image was totally messed up. I would ride my bike to summer class (always running late, tearing it up) for seven weeks and whine to my sociology teacher how I was fat.. big time WTF.. I was wasting away for chrissakes!

Now, I own a scale, but don't bother to use it.. it currently resides in my storage unit in Geneseo. I used to obsess over counting calories and measuring, and basically doing horrendous things to my body. Thinking it was the enemy, when the only true enemy was my mind and how I perceived myself.

I'm now (proudly I might add) 155lbs and pretty sure my lean body mass exceeds my lowest weight of 125. I am not a size 2, or 4 or even 6 for that matter. But, I look and feel better than the majority of women my size.. stronger, more confident with a ton more energy. And I don't care about dropping the weight anymore.

I have a funny story, so I went to Tony Walker in the July and bought these amazing jeans in a size 30, which of course, I hated at the time. So I literally held on to these super fabulous jeans for 2 months, thinking, "oh, I'll lose the weight and exchange them for a smaller pair". But nope.. never happened. And so, I started wearing them.. religiously, thinking "hey, I really look good in these, why was I so stupid to not wear them for all that time?" I went back and bought two more pairs in the same size, without a thought. Something changed inside of me, and I finally realized that in order to look and feel great, it has to truly come from the inside.

Before I had the fake it until you make it mentality, and now, it is something that I truly feel for real this time. I'm not struggling to fit into a mold, rather, I am appreciating who I am and simply being.

As my first crossfit trainer Bethany would say, "If you're a woman that can do 20 pull ups, you're going to look like a woman that can do 20 pull ups." No doubts about that one.
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:45 am

Thanks Diana, you're such a sweet heart! It's great that you have such confidence...very admirable. and you're right, numbers, whether they be sizes or weights or icnhes or whatever, don't matter. they are just a number. i totally agree with that. I'm not obsessed with numbers as much as I am my image, and the stress with school is really not helping my cause here but I'm gonna have to work with it! good call with the whole "cheating" every now and then. it's taken me a while to realize that people who do paleo/zone/any "diet" out there don't necessarily truly commit to it 100% of the time. i think my goals are not realistic, aka I will never be "skinny," I'm just not built that way, but there are ways to become lean and toned and chocolate sure is not the answer =P

hopefully I'll see ya soon, keep rockin' it out girl!
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:33 pm

ha! so this totally went to shit...i guess I'll start posting my new updates on here...starting tomorrow (?)
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:10 am

days 2,3,4 2/18-20:

did not crack yet. paleo's lookikn good so far =)
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Haha, awesome! Trust me Emily, you'll notice a huge difference in your appetite too, and will really learn to pay attention to it. I'm proud that you're doing this now, because if I knew about this when I was younger I would have saved myself years of suffering. I know how stressful school is, having to think about anything else sucks, especially when most people around you don't care. Hang in there and you'll make it work for you Smile
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:07 pm

thanks diana! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! it's nice knowing you went through it so i can look up to you!

day 5 2/21:
i'm not listing everything i ate because i dont have time.
i had a shitty day. couldnt make it to wegmans for protein so the closest thing i had was eggs and nuts. i downed 1/4 jar of almond butter, (like 5x the serving size) and the only other substantial food i had was almonds & walnuts. I definitely OD'd on fat today but whatever.
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 am

Lol. last year I was insane.. I can't even go into details about it.. Talking to Chuck I realized that you can't really OD on the fat, you need a lot of it, and there were plenty of times I would eat 1/2 a jar of cashew butter in one day, maybe more. This was during my withdraw phase, I'm sure of it. The stuff was like crack to me, and gave me the same insulin response, every now and again I go for it, but it's really not bad for you.. you could be doing a LOT worse haha. Those refined carbs and sugar.. keep me away! I get sick now when I eat too much in a short span.

I aim for about 60g of carbs/day and as a check i'll total my cals(carbs/fats/protein) to see what I'm really doing, only occasionally and always at the end of the day. Interesting to see how things have changed, a day of being off never really messes me up as long as I stay with eating paleo 90% of the time.

p.s. I am super chatty bc I am hungover. I love to write especially during this time. Thank you for the bday wishes... we miss you at the gym! I'm right here with you on this and any way I can help keep things posted. Getting off the 'normal' american diet is a bitch, and I really felt like shit until I figured out what worked for my body. You'll feel fine for a while, but eventually you'll see a change, which will force you to get the right balance, enough protein, plenty of fat, minimal carbs (my intake is roughly 75-100g im guessing, that's with the chocolate! ) The biggest thing is to not put stress on yourself, enjoy it, and be happy that you're not putting crap into your body as much as you were before!
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Days 6, 7 & 8, 2/22-2/24

This week felt like it was so much longer than 7 days. I did not go to the gym for the past 3 days and when I don't go I am hungrier throughout the day. I ate clean for the most part but my $6 wegmans meals consisted of fish with some sort of breading and yams...I didn't "need" the non-paleo carbs but those $6 meals aren't always paleo-friendly. so whoever has beef with me not considering that cheating can bite me Mad . Surprisingly I didn't find this week as difficult as I thought, but that's probably because even though I'm eating clean I'm eating a lot. Next week maybe I'll focus on portions. I'm surprisingly not having cravings yet... but there has been chocolate on the dining room table all week and although I was very tempted, I didn't touch! (so unlike me)
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  zach t Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:53 pm

way to go chick. Its hard to ween yourself off the starchy carbs at first, but you get accustomed to it. Tonite I went to rachels meddterrain restaurant and had a chicken slovaki, sooo good. The owner walked over to me and asked why i wasnt eating my pita, so I had a bite to appease him. My first pita in a lonnnnggggg time. My vice lately has been too much coffee. I need to hydrate more. good luck
zach t
zach t

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:22 pm

That's amazing! Baby steps you know, and eventually things just fall into place. Good will power on the chocolate, but to tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't eat it either. The shit my bf has laying around is crap. I eat dark.. great for you. They say chocolate stimulates the same receptors in the brain as sex does, works better for women. I'm all for it... and the antioxidants of course Smile

You will get used to not eating starchy carbs, I feel great and don't miss a thing.. squash has been my staple lately. And definitely TRYING to focus on eating more greens.. idk why it's so hard, but hey, it's all about the effort.

So proud of you!!
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Wood Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Emily-
The $6 Wegman's meals will not kill you. I eat them almost every time I am in town visiting my dad. Although not ideal---in the grand scheme of things they beat getting the #1 w/ a dr pepper.
Mr.Wood
Mr.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:24 am

Thanks chuck for helping me figure out that i just didnt quite get the paleo. a shit ton of fruit does not = healthy. just like everything else, you gotta have it in moderation. Now I try not to exceed 3 or 4 fruits per day. Had some roast beef at the beer blast tonight, which I havent eaten in years...I didn't even look at the dessert table and even when my sister tempted me with a cookie I didn't really want it. I guess I was rewarded since I won a real photo of our olympic USA goalie RYAN MILLER! & of course it was autographed =) thank you karma...

diana, good call on the cocoa! ive heard many great things about it and i can't want to be able to have it again, although still no real cravings...and true woodie, while the quick meals may not kill me they just might hurt me right now, so im trying to avoid them. god i hate dieting.
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  zach t Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:48 pm

ya em, dieting sucks. But look at the bright side, its better than an eating disorder!
zach t
zach t

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 pm

days 11, 12, 13 2/28-3/2
pretty clean, but one day i had taco meat with seasoning and another day i had roast beef that was cooked in broth....just curious if anyone else who went "paleo" literally went strict paleo or if they used stuff that most people use like olive oil, spices, seasoning (in very minimal amounts of course) ? because i know that since i have that crap in my diet it's not technically paleo, but i really don't have a problem considering it to be paleo and i don't forsee that it will hurt me by doing that...any thoughts from the veterans??
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:24 pm

haha, sounds like you're doing great! I justify the salt as per the blood type diet, and I'm a type O, so I need it. I've cut way down and choose to omit it whenever I can, but not always. I definitely do the best I can, trying to eat as much organic as possible, which is maybe only at 50 percent. Beef cooked in broth? I use the eat this not that method.. it could be fried, so I say broth is way better.. and that little bit of breading? I wouldn't obsess over it, if you're cutting out the majority of it in your day, you'll be fine. At this point its about making the change, sticking with it long enough to assess what it's done for you. I'm at the point where I know I need to not be as lenient as I was before, because my workouts are not the same. Damn oreo eating boyfriend.. totally messing me up lol.
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum