exercise-induced attacks

Go down

exercise-induced attacks

Post  chick on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:07 am

I didn't know where to post this, but this folder seemed the most appropriate. So I've talked to some of you regarding my coughing attacks I get after most wods. Basically just minutes after some of the workouts I get a tickly feeling in my throat which causes me to cough, and once I start I will cough on and off for hours after. It feels like there is something being coughed up real deep in my lungs but nothing comes up. I wheeze if I forcibly breathe extremely deeply and I also feel like there is blood in my throat and which tastes like metal. I know several of you said something similar happens to you but I am a little concerned because my case seems a little too severe to be normal. I did a little research and this is what I found:

It could be exercise-induced asthma, which has symptoms like coughing, wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath. These things can be triggered by some sort of impurity in the air (chalk, pollen, dust, smoke), temperature (especially when working out in the cold, and when coming into a warm room after), dryness of the airways due to breathing through your mouth as opposed to your nose, having a prior virus/illness which constricts the bronchioles, or even from dairy, which increases the mucus in our lungs. These can be prevented with a proper warm-up and cool-down, but I'm not really sure why.

I'd like to believe that I don't have this condition, especially because I hate medicine and wouldn't want to be put on an inhaler, but my symptoms are very similar everything that's listed here. Any suggestions as to how to manage this? Any comments/advice/similar experiences?

scratch
chick

Back to top Go down