Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ChuckP "DIETERS MANIFESTO": PLEASE READ... Everyone.

+4
chick
Mr.Wood
Hubie
ChuckP
8 posters

:: Nutrition

Go down

The ChuckP "DIETERS MANIFESTO": PLEASE READ... Everyone. Empty The ChuckP "DIETERS MANIFESTO": PLEASE READ... Everyone.

Post  ChuckP Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Ok I kind of remarked about this on Emilys' post on juicing. But first and foremost I apologize for seeming negative and to be tearing down a lot of the ideas that are being thrown around here on the board and by people in class. This is generally not my demeanor and I don't like even feeling like I'm being a debbie downer, but that being said: I have years of experience with this whole "diet" game and I've tried almost everything possible. I don't want to see any of you guys struggle with yo-yo dieting and the ups and downs I have, I feel a very strong bond with all of you at crossfit because we all crossfit together. This is my sport, you are my team and therefore like a pseudo family to me.

NOW here's what needs to be addressed:

I think the best way to approach a lot of these "dieting tactics" that some of you guys are asking about is. KISS it. Keep It Simple Stupid and no juicing, IF, etc etc etc is not keeping it simple. There is no quick fix to a nutrition problem it takes time just like healing a broken bone, you are healing your body from the years of abuse you've put on it. You're going to have cravings, withdrawals, crashes, mistakes, weight loss, weight gain, tough times, and most of all it will suck when you're stressed out with your life and you have to go home and eat a "healthy meal." You will have people make fun of you at work, when you're out to eat, hanging out with friends, and even amongst your crossfit people (that's all in good fun though). Fuck the nah sayers do your thing and stick with it. You will make it over the hump, but god damn it people. Find a niche in your diet and stick with it. After you've stuck with it and you plateau (not 3 weeks) then we'll tweak and I will help you do it, if you want my help. Whether it's paleo, zone, anabolic, metabolic, atkins, gracie, blood type, or your grandfathers grandfather (and he knows because he was an olympic gold medalist circa 1875 in every event and when he was done he killed a tiger ate it's cubs and swam home to america threw the atlantic while killing sharks, sea creatures, octipi, and lost nordic vikings) diet. KEEP IT SIMPLE. You are being STUPID if you don't. I'm not Robb Wolf, I'm not Dr. Sears, or any other of the people that authored these books, but I've read almost all of them, and I'm armed with plenty of other knowledge as well. If you don't want to listen to me, try Dave, try Hubie the 3 of us have all taken this step up to help you guys. My point being for this rant which I hope you find semi-funny, but this is a serious thing. Find a starting point, follow it to a T or as close you can without being irrational and stick with it for a little while. I promise it will work and that when it stops working we will fix it so it does work. Or we will suggest something else to try until you find something that works and makes you the best athlete/crossfitter/confident person we can help you be (without counseling). This is your money, your time and your life, get with something and stick to it. Theres a lot to be said about perserverance and that's all this diet thing takes, I promise. Everyone can improve and we're all in this together. Just remember to keep it simple, stick to it and when you need us (your friends) we're here for you because we're all having the same battle (no hubie, it's not the dreaded hair loss battle Dave and his friend are both having...sorry dave).

With that said, questions, comments, concerns? Voice them here, in class, text me, call me whatever. If I'm over stepping my boundary or over any lines for any of you tell me. I'm not trying to upset anyone, I'm simply saying all this because I want to see all of you succeed.
ChuckP
ChuckP

Back to top Go down

The ChuckP "DIETERS MANIFESTO": PLEASE READ... Everyone. Empty Re: The ChuckP "DIETERS MANIFESTO": PLEASE READ... Everyone.

Post  Hubie Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:11 pm

I couldn't agree more with everything Chuck P wrote.

Its so cliche, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and without quick fixes and shortcuts...
Hubie
Hubie

Back to top Go down

The ChuckP "DIETERS MANIFESTO": PLEASE READ... Everyone. Empty Re: The ChuckP "DIETERS MANIFESTO": PLEASE READ... Everyone.

Post  Mr.Wood Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Chuck-
For whatever it is worth--I kind of addressed my own struggle with diet in the thread that I started today. I definitely agree with what you just told the folks about giving an honest try with different methodologies to see what works for them. More than anything--I agree with Hubie's previous statement in this thread: Rome was not, in fact, built in a day.
-Woody
Mr.Wood
Mr.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:11 pm

good words. i really can't say everything i want to say right now due to time but i see your point, it's true and i agree with what you're saying. your advice isn't going unappreciated, so thank you to everyone for putting the time in to answer questions, give advice etc. jocolor by the way i try to use a new face every day. it makes me happy
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Perfectly put Chuck.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:02 am

Agreed, great post Chuck.. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you...

After switching to paleo.. weening myself off the old lifestyle.. I am so amazed at what foods I crave now. I'll crave salty foods, but not sweets and could care less about them.. I'll eat them and they do nothing for me, even the processed carbs. No cerebral stimulation whatsoever.. which is a total shocker, because food was almost like a drug for me, for a long time.

Some examples:
I had Jim's and I could care less about the bread and had to take off the cheese because I couldn't tolerate it.
Went to Ulrichs (German restaurant/ Irish bar - weird, I know) and looked at the Shnitzel and wanted to vomit because I haven't had fried food in so long.. the thought now even makes my stomach turn.

None of it does anything for me anymore.

Food is looked at as a source of energy to help me perform and sustain life, not as a source of enjoyment as it once had.

I once had three favorite things in the world, cereal, sushi and chocolate. I don't think I'll stop liking them, but I look at them much differently now. Cereal and chocolate, I could care less about.. sushi, I still love, but opt for the (much more expensive lol) sashimi instead.. and definitely get a little soy in there too.. ahh.. I'm a sucker for salt now every once in a while, but whatever, not at every meal.. and my intake is way less than it was.

I also posted on Emily's post under Sunday's Goals, about perspective and extremes.

And I guess I should figure out what my new two favorite things in the world would be. Crossfit is a definite, and I'll come up with the other one later.
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  zach t Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:24 pm

nice work chuck. glad to be part of your family. Diets dont work. It has to be your lifestyle.
zach t
zach t

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:51 pm

zach t wrote:nice work chuck. glad to be part of your family. Diets dont work. It has to be your lifestyle.

like the weight watchers slogan.. Zach is right!
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  JG Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:12 pm

But.... I want the omlette What a Face
JG
JG

Back to top Go down

Post  ChuckP Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:53 pm

NO jordan, NO omlette until you get back to busting your butt. €¤

Hahahhahahahaha turkish deadlifts first omlette second buddy.
ChuckP
ChuckP

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:52 am

what are Turkish deadlifts, and why are omelettes so bad?
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:24 am

Diana....Long story hahahaha
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JG Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:36 am

Diane- Def ask Chuck to help you with your Turkish Deadlifts. What a Face
JG
JG

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:36 am

I'll get it out of you today.. now I'm curious!
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  zach t Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:45 pm

haha turkish deadlifts. what a forearm workout!
zach t
zach t

Back to top Go down

Post  ChuckP Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm

THE turkish deadlift can not be told or described. It has to be shown and the only two qualified are jordan and myself.

Hahahaha, good luck getting it out of either of us.

This will be fun.

€¤
ChuckP
ChuckP

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but Dave was already nice enough to explain it to me.. so HA!
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  ChuckP Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Foolish foolish girl... Think again. The true story lies with in two people.
ChuckP
ChuckP

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 am

Diana for your own safety I had too doctor the truth. Trust me.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diana21 Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:33 am

Dave... you suck Sad
Diana21
Diana21

Back to top Go down

Post  zach t Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:33 pm

does this mean I was lied to as well? d'oh!
zach t
zach t

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down