Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Woody Approach

2 posters

:: Nutrition

Go down

The Woody Approach Empty The Woody Approach

Post  Mr.Wood Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:10 am

I just wanted to get some opinions on my current approach to diet:
(1) If I can't pronounce the ingredients I probably shouldn't be shoveling it into my hole
(2) Avoid processed foods as much as possible--wtf is "processed" anyway nowadays? Everything is processed minus stuff that you kill or dig out of the dirt yourself--so "as much as possible" is the operative term there.
(3) Finally, if what I'm eating wasn't at some point alive--I probably shouldn't be eating it.
(4) I am not 19 years old anymore and, therefore, a little moderation with the sauce is in order.

I've kinda talked to Dave about this a little when I was in town the last time--but I've been exploring new approaches to everything in the last few months--and nutrition-wise I just find myself feeling better when I eat a high calorie, high-protein, moderate fat, moderate carb diet. I'ld like to stress that I've got no science behind this (just pseudo science) but I just feel F**King great.
Mr.Wood
Mr.Wood

Back to top Go down

The Woody Approach Empty Re: The Woody Approach

Post  Hubie Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Good post Wood.

Basically you're going to "watch" what you shove down your gullet while living life and staying fit. Not world class Olympic lifter fit, not fat slob who hits happy hour every night after work fit either. I like the approach. Its about finding the place with fitness, nutrition, and living life where you are the happiest... well done my friend and thanks for sharing.
Hubie
Hubie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Wood Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 pm

It's a little bit more complicated than that, Hubie. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I'm splitting an atom.

Basically, instead of my diet consisting of strict caloric restriction in conjunction w/ a carb phobia I've opted to look at the quality of the carbs that I'm consuming and I've really upped the frequency, volume and intensity of my training.

I'll make a long story short on what has gotten me here in the whole diet debate:
A couple years back I followed the Gracie Diet for a few months and never felt better--until I realized that I was f**king miserable because I spent half of my day figuring out what combinations of food I was going to eat and (here's the huge white elephant in the room for a lot of us) I wasn't supposed to drink alcohol at all, period, ever.

The Zone is the same thing, psychologically, for me. If I was a professional athlete I would be more obsessive about measuring my food and calculating blocks etc. However, I am not--and the marginal benefit of associated with the marginal cost (pain in my ass) just doesn't pay out to me.

Paleo and the Atkins--the carb phobic approach makes me feel like crap--devoid of energy. My workouts have felt flat when I've followed these methodologies in the past.

Then I hurt my hamstring this summer (you know the story Hubie and Dave). Since then I've been evaluating everything that I've been doing in my approach to fitness--diet being a huge component to that. So here I am--eating a ton of beef, fish and eggs--but not forsaking the carbs--all while increasing--in particular--the volume and frequency of my training mostly centered around moving heavier weights more often and putting a lot more miles of road work in to offset the large increase of calories that I've been shoving down my gullet.
Mr.Wood
Mr.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Nutrition

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum