Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intermittent Fasting (IF)

+2
Dave
RedHeaded_Stepchild
6 posters

:: Nutrition

Go down

Intermittent Fasting (IF) Empty Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Post  RedHeaded_Stepchild Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Reading The Primal Blueprint right now and have seen a lot written about this topic by Art DeVaney and a few others.

I was wondering if anyone had experience in the method of Intermittent Fasting. I am considering a weekly fast and taking the "surprise" approach with no preperation for my body before.
RedHeaded_Stepchild
RedHeaded_Stepchild

Back to top Go down

Intermittent Fasting (IF) Empty Re: Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Post  Dave Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Dan talk to me about IF when you come in
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChuckP Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Dan,

First: Have you tried a zone or paleo styled diet?

I suggest starting there, if you have tried then I say to stick with it and don't try to toy with new ideas until you see what dedicating yourself to one of these diets can do for you how it was written out by the author. Robb Wolf talks a lot about IF and he feels it's a great tool. But until you have a solid foundation (tool box) don't try and put any more tools in your bag yet. Sorry for the stupid analogies.

I think this pertains to most of the "newbs" at the gym. So Dan I don't want to single you out. A lot of you guys have a ton of questions and a huge thirst for all that is crossfit, I'm pumped for you guys and extremely happy that there's a solid sound board for you guys to bounce things off of. I should probably make a new topic of this and hope everyone who's been learning new stuff in this case on nutrition reads. But I'll see how this works and go from there.

Zach, Dan, all the new guys and gals that's I've talked with about nutrition... I strongly suggest getting on the Paleo or Zone diet and sticking with it for at the very least 30 days but would like to see you all stick with it for 3 months. Once you have that foundation set and you can see what foods make you feel better, worse, or don't have any effect on you at all. Then start to toy with the notion of IF or cutting carbs to replace fats etc. etc. etc. Hubie, Dave, Higley, Jordan and myself have all toyed with these and I'm sure many other diets over a good amount of time and all of us have either found what works or continued to educate our selves and toy with things to refine our diets to help us reach our goals. BUT.... we all started using a diet as it was "rx'd" by the author. There is by no means a quick fix to any of our goals, and getting a sound base although boring and not on the cutting edge will propel you towards that goal much faster than tinkering with all these different ideas and tweeks that people have come up with. You will all find out what works best for you with time on these "basic" diet plans then after that given time (3 months) start to tinker and toy with all these ideas. Trust me when I say this because I'm speaking from experience, playing with all these new ideas and different ways of approaching the diets will only lead to a crash at some point and have you starting all over wondering what happened. Start at the base (sorry for repeating myself but I can't emphasize enough) and after you've set that we'll talk about ways to tweek...? (i can't fucking spell, sorry) and if I have to I'll personally help you refine these things.
ChuckP
ChuckP

Back to top Go down

Post  Hubie Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:19 pm

I can't agree with CP more! Well put Chuck. Show us and more importantly yourself that you can stick with any sort of meal plan for a significant amount of time (2-3 months). Then we'll talk about "tweaking" your plan. Continue to ask questions, just know that there is no quick fix.

I said this before and CP alluded to it, start slow with a new diet/meal plan. Don't expect to eat the rx'd blocks or go 100% paleo starting tomorrow. You WILL crash. Start with one meal a day for a week, then add another meal, and so on...
Hubie
Hubie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Chuck,

Prob the most well articulated response I could imagine. Everyone please read and re read what he wrote.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Dan, I have a men's health that has an article on fasting if you're interested. I agree with Chuck though, it's best to get into a proven routine and tweek from there.
Andrew
Andrew

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:41 pm

dan whats your email i have 3 e-book things on IF. anyone else who wants to read them send me your email as well.
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Nutrition

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum