Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double Wods

5 posters

Go down

Double Wods Empty Double Wods

Post  Dave Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:14 am

Just an observation on something we have been noticing in the gym lately.

It is not unheard of to do more than one wod in a day. It is usually done in preparation for some kind of event i.e. the games. It also done in a planned out fashion with a certain amount of intent. There is also usually adequate rest done in between them. Adequate being about four hours.

I have noticed some people in the gym getting done with the WOD for that day and almost immediately following up that WOD with another similar one only a few minutes later. I want people to understand how counterproductive and potentially hazardous this may be.

I know it is hard to get used to "working out" for such a short duration being enough for that day but most will agree this program is not conventional nor should it be treated as such. First off if you have enough energy after your first WOD to go right into another one then you simply did not work as hard as you could have. I am not saying you did not work hard but def not at yoru full capacity. This is just simply a fact not an accusation.

You are also setting yourself up for overuse injuries. We by nature train similar muscle groups on a day to day basis and this is very productive when done in a planned out manner. When handled irresponsibly this is a cocktail for disaster and can take you out of the game for a while which never sits easy with anyone.

I will address this more in detail later but wanted to get it out there in brief. Please post thoughts in response.
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Double Wods Empty Re: Double Wods

Post  Hubie Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:00 pm

F!

Since I just erased my long post about this subject, I'll just reply with a short reply.

I couldn't agree with Dave more. If you have any desire to complete a met con immediately after just completing one, you simply didn't work hard enough in the first met con. I don't think any experienced Cross fitter would argue this point. If two met cons at 75% were better then one at 100% then you would see the main site posting two met cons a day.

Most of us can tell those of you that give 100%. You lay on the floor for 10 minutes, cuss at little kids, forget where you are for a short period of time, and so on. With that said, completing a wod at 100% effort is learned over time. Keep working to try and figure out how to work at maximum capacity.

Also, doing multiple met cons back to back will not help you achieve you goals faster (unless one of your goals is injury.) There is such a thing as over training injuries, just ask my left shoulder.

I hope these pictures come out. These are a few examples of the after shock of 100% effort.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Colin before BUD/s

Darryl, our newest member of the Army Infantry

Me after every WOD

Dave after every WOD

Kelly a little out of it post WOD

Dave checking out the bottom of the bucket

CJ just missing my time, again. Little Conlin (Alex) post WOD

My personal favorite Crossfit picture to date.
Hubie
Hubie

Back to top Go down

Post  darin Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:21 pm

You'll notice in the last picture that Steve is smiling....clearly he didn't work hard enough!
darin
darin

http://www.darins.net

Back to top Go down

Post  chick Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:35 pm

damn, this is really encouraging, but also discouraging at the same time. I like to think I work at max capacity after every wod, but there have only been a few days where I look like the rest of you guys in the pic, sprawled out on the floor, completely discombobulated, almost paralyzed really. I think you're right, it will take time to work at that intensity every day, but it's just frustrating that after all this time I have not been working to my full potential. Ugh, only to tell myself that mid-wod...but then again, every time one of you says something to me during a workout I seem to pick up the intensity, for example during yesterday's wod--Hubie, you told me to go faster on the step-ups, and I did. That right there proves to me that there is way more within that I need to pull out and until I am able to work that hard without someone drilling me then I won't ever achieve optimal performance.

Thanks. Can't wait to get back in there, school and work has me tied up for the day. see you guys tomorrow. Laughing
chick
chick

Back to top Go down

Post  zach t Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:53 pm

ok, but how about doing a strength wod or crossfit endurance wod hours after your regular wod? I am trying to do that at the UB facilities i have here. Tonite i plan on rowing a 2k at like 9pm. Is that crazy? Also i gotta say i love the pictures. I know that feeling, the lungs that feel like youve been smoking for years and a heartbeat that could be in the techno crap that john plays at 6. Those pics say a thousand words
zach t
zach t

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down